At UC Davis, a group of dedicated students are using their time to not only raise money for all-expenses-paid children-care camps, but also provide emotional support to the children who need it.
Higher education can expect to be hit in two major ways because of the sequestration — cuts in financial aid and research funding. Pell Grant awards will begin to lose funding after one year, affecting over 1 million California students, and funds for new research projects will decrease by millions.
Since the beginning of the 21st century, American consumers have been buying hundreds of calories more than those who lived in the 1950s, according to the United States Department of Agriculture. The total food supply in 2000 delivered 3,800 calories per person per day. The USDA states, of those 3,800 calories, roughly 1,000 calories were lost due to spoilage, plate waste, cooking and other losses. The average family of four wastes about 20 pounds of food each month, nearly $2,275 a year.
Up before the crack of dawn. Up before the rooster crowed, while the night mist settled over green grass to become morning dew. Up before the milk cow shifted uneasily from the weight she carried in her utters. Up when the creak of leather harnesses and horses’ breath were the sole sounds accompanying the crunch of boots over hay and the moan of a barn door opening.
The Golden Gate Xpress will feature a photo every week in print and online from SF State students — and it could be yours! Email your photos: email@example.com
Eidlin, a member of Delta Sigma fraternity, decided to start his own company, GreekDrop, using this strategy of product sampling.
When Sandy hit the East Coast on Oct. 29, Long Beach homeowner Chris Maksymowicz had his basement flooded, but he was not worried about the thousands of dollars’ worth of damage to the furnace, heaters and walls.
I didn’t become thoroughly educated about sex from public school. Sure, in 7th grade they taught us about the human body and the biology of sexual reproduction, but that was strictly the most basic information. I learned about birth control and different forms of sexual expression the same way most kids my age did: from my friends and from media, because it certainly wasn’t from school.
Story originally posted to the The Golden Gate Exoress on February 23, 2013 Read more
Originally published to the California Aggie on Feb 26, 2013 Read more
- The Aggie: Camp Kesem comforts children of cancer patients April 10, 2013
- TheAggie: Sequester cuts to hamper research, student aid April 10, 2013
- TheGoldenGateExpress: Overconsumption of food wastes money, creates more pollution March 11, 2013
- TheWesternCarolinaJournalist:Southern Independent film circuit presented “Eating Alabama” March 11, 2013
- GoldenGateXpress: Photo of the week March 6, 2013
- TheAggie: Undergraduate to launch online shopping platform for Greeks March 4, 2013
- SBU J-Drive: Memories Destroyed by Sandy March 4, 2013
- WesternCarolinaJournalist: Sexual Empowerment Week fills an educational void March 4, 2013